What To Do During Puppy Fear Period
Dogs often pass through the puppy fear stages without any necessary care, however, a pet parent’s response to an adolescent dog’s fear can help prevent lasting behavioral issues.
What to do during puppy fear period. The picnic table is one example. The fear imprint period , 8 to 11 weeks: It is important to be upbeat and excited about new things and encourage your puppy to feel the same way.
Things like vacuuming can still be accomplished, but just do it one room at a time while your pup is 8 to 10 weeks old. Herron, veterinarian and diplomate of the american college of veterinary behaviorists, ‘…fear period is therefore a stage during which the puppy or dog may be more apt to perceive certain stimuli threatening. End on a positive note with lots of treating/praising.
Try not to make a big deal about the thing your dog is afraid of, but incorporate it into future training sessions. For example, during the second fear period (four to six months), it is common for puppies to start barking at the trash can if it’s moved to a new place. Don’t force your dog to approach something that he fears.
You may encounter some increased aggression and renewed testing for position and authority. The first fear period, it is best to avoid traumatic experiences during this time such as shipping dogs on a plane and any other overwhelming experience. If a pup is scared to leave its crate, ignore her!
The most critical period for puppy development is the age six to eight weeks (everything that happens prior to this is to do with setting the foundations of the animal & why it is essential that you have chosen a good breeder). If your puppy seems fearful of a new situation, forcing him into it is the worst thing to do. Allow him to retreat and try again from a distance where he feels comfortable.
This fear period is normally more marked in male dogs. Expose the pup/dog to new people/pets and experiences and pair this exposure with a favourite food or game. How to help your puppy through a fear period.
- Lab Puppies For Adoption In Vt
- Lab Puppies For Sale In Indianapolis
- Labradoodle Puppies For Sale In Dayton Ohio
- Lab Puppies For Sale In Vancouver Washington
- Labradoodle Dogs For Sale In Pa
- Labradoodle Puppies Northern Michigan
- Labradoodle Puppies South Florida
- Labradoodle Puppies Charlotte Nc
- Lab Puppies Ohio Free
- Labradoodle Puppies For Sale Raleigh Nc
- Lab Puppies For Sale Mn Hoobly
- Lab Puppy Adoption Maryland
- Lab Puppies For Sale In Vancouver Bc
- Lab Puppies For Sale In Savannah Georgia
- Lab Puppy Rescue Uk
- Labradoodle Puppies For Adoption In California
- Labradoodle Puppies For Sale In Lima Ohio
- Labradoodle Puppies Ohio Hoobly
- Lab Puppies For Sale California Craigslist
- Labrador Breeder Colorado Springs